Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pride & Prejudice...


I pride myself in not being a "Jane Austen Girl." You know, one of those girls who base their life choices on a book, look up to Elizabeth Bennett as the ultimate heroine, and are truly looking for their own Mr. Darcy. Sadly I was basing my knowledge of Jane Austen on reading one book, Emma, in high school (and by reading I mean skimming and watching Clueless), and watching all the movies (spoken like a true Californian). So, when my friend suggested we actually read all of her books, I decided it was a great challenge. We have only tackled 2 of the books (Sense & Sensibility and Pride & Prejudice), I have truly enjoyed reading the books. It has not made me an "Austenite" though... it's done a bit of the opposite. While I thoroughly enjoy the stories and the books, they did not live up to what "Jane Austen Girls" have made them to be. For example, I found Elizabeth a little more of a dumb girl than she is usually portrayed, and I was not wooed by Mr. Darcy. I really don't think it's that hard to be civil in all company - I don't care if you are shy. So, here's to finally being in a book club that doesn't suck! We were actually discussing which book to tackle next and Deb suggested David Sedaris : ) It's OK to be jealous.

0 comments: