Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving...

We're back from Yosemite! We had a wonderful time! It was a nice break from tradition (sometimes I think it's fun to mix it up!), but we still managed to make it feel like Thanksgiving. We had a semi traditional feast in our hotel room that consisted of stuffing (GF for me!), sweet potato chips, green beans, roasted potatoes, and my personal favorite - cranberry sauce, and pumpkin bread! After dinner we had a pretty intense Yahtzee competition & watched Harry Potter.

It was Henry's first real road trip. He did amazingly well! He has some serious space issues though. He was happiest when on my lap, the center console, or my moms lap. I"m pretty sure it's illegal to let him ride like that, but he is a little heat bomb & kept me so warm! It was freezing, so a blanket (even a live one) was much appreciated! We entertained ourselves on the ride by listening to John Denver, Carole King, The Beatles, Odyssey's, and of course my mom's favorite Amy Grant Christmas (aren't you sad you missed out of that one Andrew?)...

He's seriously the cutest thing ever! The only really annoying thing he did was when he would get super excited (which was a lot!) he lets out this horrendous noise! It's a mix between a whine, and yelp, and a straight out dog scream! I kinda couldn't blame him though - Yosemite was pretty exciting!
We had heard that it snowed, but there was no evidence of the snow until we got into the park. Almost as soon as we drove in we saw tons and tons of snow! It was gorgeous! Luckily my dad's friend had warned him, so we came prepared with chains for our tires. A lot of the road was pure ice! It was FREEZING though! I had like 4 layers on & I was still freezing...
Hiking up to see this waterfall was probably my favorite part of the whole trip. It was a short but VERY ICY trip to the top. There was a small hill you had to climb & the entire hill was probably 2 inches of ice. Surprisingly there were a ton a people trying to get to the top! When we arrived at the hill we saw people falling, slipping, and giving up and just sliding down on their butts. We didn't want Henry to freak out, so we took turns going up the hill. My parents went up first so I got to stand at the bottom and just observe. FUNNIEST THING EVER! In the 10 minutes that I waited by myself, I saw at least 15 people fall. I only wish I had a video camera. Most everyone thought it was funny though, so we all laughed together (and at each other!). Amazingly I made it up without falling. It was such a gorgeous view!
My dad got some pretty amazing pictures! We only spent one day in the actual park because most of the trails were closed because of ice & they were calling for even more snow. Yosemite is even more beautiful than I ever could have imagined. I can't wait to go back & actually explore some of the trails!


1 comments:

{shell} said...

ok. so let's start with Henry! he is HYSTERICAL! of COURSE he had to sit on your lap - he doesn't want you to forget for even ONE second that he is a part of the family! He is barely dog. next....you look DARLING in all your layers! LOVE IT! 3rd...those pictures, AMAZING. truly - you make me want to go to Yosemite and hike (WHAAAAT?!?!?!?!!!!?) - quite a feat!g